Saturday, August 22, 2015

Packing (Yikes and Yay)

Okay, I probably didn't need two full size suitcases.

I did a lot of research (which ended in me pretty much guessing, since everyone packs different things) when it came to luggage size and what would allow 50 pounds but that wouldn't be too large for me to lug around.  I have two Travel Pro suitcases (pictured in a previous post), in 29 inches and 25 inches in depth.  From what I could glean from other blogs online about luggage weight, it seemed like the larger case would be better for chunky objects (ie: shoes) and could be packed to reach 50 pretty easily.  The size down from that, the 25 inch, seemed like it would be a little more difficult to reach the weight limit unless I was really packing it full.

I packed most of my stuff (excluding items like socks and all of my toiletries/cleaning supplies) into both of them a couple weeks ago and was thrilled to see myself far under the limit of 50 pounds per bag.  My larger one (with my shoes, all extra bags/purses, a towel, a small blanket, and all jackets and toiletries I had gathered at the time) came in at around 32 pounds, which is great since the size makes it cumbersome even when empty.  The smaller one I packed full of all my other clothes that were on my packing list (other than socks/undies).  It seemed to fill the case, but by no means did I cram it full and it still had plenty of space.  It came in at 35 pounds, so my plan is to pack everything else possible into this bag since the smaller size makes it more manageable.

The luxury of having the extra space (especially in the smaller one) is that I am able to bring full-sized toiletries and some packets of cleaning supplies (clorox wipes, since use laundry detergent) to make my first couple weeks there easier on me.  I know I'm going to a first world country, but the less I have to carry from the local store on that first day, the better.  Also, if the small one ends up over the limit, I will be able to shift some of my things to the other one and prevent me from being overcharged.

In total, I will have one suitcase in each hand and a backpack with my tech, changes of clothes, basic toiletries, and all of my travel documents.  Hopefully I'll be able to shuffle all of this stuff around from plane to train to wobbling down the street!!!  Though the space I have is excessive for just the trip there, I am glad that I'll have almost 20 pounds for the return trip to bring back to the states.

If anyone has gone abroad and has any tips on what they wish they'd had (or what they wish they had left behind), I'm up for suggestions!

2 comments:

  1. All I'm saying is--don't do what I did and think you packed a bed sheet when it was actually a pillowcase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh that must have been a bad surprise! My dorm is (allegedly) supplying me with sheets and stuff and I'm getting there a day early and spending a night in a hotel, but I still have to go out and buy a blanket that's warmer than my travel one. Other than that snafu, has your trip gone well? Should I just actually read your blog and have that question answered for me?

    ReplyDelete