Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Intensive Program

As I mentioned before, I was placed into the lowest level of the available classes of the intensive French class.  It was four hours every day for that week.  While it was taught in French, the class was a very multilingual experience.  The largest groups of language were English and Italian, so classmates were often helping each other.  With my American friends, and with another Italian classmate, I found google translate to be very helpful (though switching back and forth from English to French to Italian made for some pretty garbled phrases).  This class got me thinking in French more during the day, which was helpful, but the material taught in my class was not.  On our first day, we went over how to conjugate simple -er verbs ("Parler" being the example).  Now, I know I’m not a linguistic genius, but I do in fact remember learning that in 6th grade.  How badly did I really do on that placement test haha?!  On the last day, we were allowed to chose if we wanted to take the extensive course (a French-as-a-foreign-language class for this semester) and I marked myself down for it.  There was no test or any form of assessment at the end of the intensive class.  We actually just watched a movie (le dîner de cons) that I’d already seen in a French class at UNCW.  I do know that some of the other classes went on a walking tour of the downtown area, so I guess it pays to come with a high language skill.  

No comments:

Post a Comment